Providing The Best Quality Garage Doors
Garage doors are not just about safety and access, they are also a statement. They are one of the most visible aspects of your home. There are many aspects to consider when choosing your garage doors, from specifications to design preferences – speak to us.
From Warkworth to Mercer and everywhere in between, we are available in every suburb at your request.
To enjoy the convenience and durability of our New Zealand made products for yourself, get in touch today.
We can set up a complimentary measure and quote for your garage to protect your home and family. Our quotes are completely obligation-free.
Services - Garage Doors & More
Dulux Powder Coatings
Frequently asked questions
Q. What are the different types of garage door construction?
A. There are four main types of garage doors in Auckland and the basic difference between each one is in the way that they open.
The opening style is usually determined by the physical space available in and around your garage entrance, but aesthetics can also play a part when making your decision if you are lucky enough to have a garage that can accommodate more than one style.
Each type is available in various materials and finishes but they will generally fall into one of the following categories:
1. Sectional - They slide upwards into the ceiling space with each section moving independently of each other in order to facilitate the way it bends through the top of the garage opening and into the runners that guide it across the ceiling. At Auckland Garage Doors, we offer sectional doors in a wide range of styles and materials to ensure that the final finish complements the overall feel of your house.
2. Roller - Similar to the sectional door in that they are guided straight up towards the ceiling, but the main difference being that they roll around themselves at the top rather than remaining flat and travelling across the ceiling space. As a result, the sections are much smaller in order to make this logistically possible. Get in touch to learn more about roller doors in Auckland and see what options you have available to you.
3. Upswing or tilting - These one-piece doors move outwards from the bottom, then swing up and remain in one flat piece as they come to rest horizontally across the ceiling.
4. Carriage - These older style doors open out from the centre in the same way barn doors would. It's becoming a less popular style of garage door, and now they are often installed as sectional sliding doors and the carriage style is simply created with aesthetic touches.
Q. What is the best garage door?
A. The best garage door type for you will depend on a number of factors.
- There's the practicality of how the door functions - this will usually depend on the space available in and around the garage entrance.
- You will want to consider the overall look and how it complements the facade of your house. Garage doors can take up to about 20% of the front aspect of a residential building and could make a difference to its value and saleability if you come to sell your home in the future.
Q. Should I get insulated or non-insulated garage doors?
A. There are benefits to choosing insulated garage doors in Auckland. The obvious reason is to retain the heat inside your home. An energy-efficient door will trap the heat where you want it and help keep the rest of the house warm in the winter.
Another good reason is to add value to your house. When you come to sell your home, potential buyers are becoming increasingly interested in the energy efficiency of a house, not just for the heating costs, but for environmental reasons too.Garages that also double as workstation require insulated garage doors to prevent the area from getting too cold.
Q. How do I clean my garage door?
A. Colorsteel and aluminium products are designed to be low maintenance and durable, but they still get dirty just like any other material, including wood.The best way to clean your garage door without harming the surface is to mix one part household soap or gentle detergent with five parts water and use a soft, clean cloth to wipe the surface down. To keep your garage door in top condition, you will probably want to consider cleaning it every six months.
Q. What safety features are important in a garage door opener?
A. The most important safety features in a garage door opener are:
- Auto-reverse - If a garage door comes down and hits a person or car, then you want it to go back up again so as not to cause serious damage. Garage doors can be very heavy, and you don't want the full force of it pushing down on something that is trapped below it.
- Manual control - It may seem counterproductive to have an automatic door installation and then add a manual operation as well, but if the power goes out in your home and you need to get the garage door open, you don't want to be pushing against a motor to try and open it. Emergencies can happen and sometimes the garage maybe your nearest point of exit from the house.
Q. When should I replace my garage door with a new one?
A. The lifespan of your garage door will depend on the wear and tear it endures from day to day. Sometimes garage door repair isn't an option if it is too old or badly damaged, but you can always check with our experts to give you a professional opinion if you are worried that you may need new garage doors in Auckland.
You might have to consider replacing your garage door if it is over 10 years old and is no longer functioning in the way it used to. Failing to open and close at the correct speed, misaligned tracks, dents, and visibly broken springs and cables are all signs that you may need a replacement.
Q. Do I need to have windows at the top of my garage door?
A. Not necessarily. Windows in your garage door is a matter of preference. You may want to have windows if you are looking to benefit from natural light entering the room but you should also consider that some heat may be lost through the glass panels. On a sectional garage door, it is possible to personalise some of the sections with windows. However, on a roller door, it isn't feasible due to the way that it rolls up into a tube shape as it opens, so if you're looking to install a roller door in Auckland then you will have to forgo the addition of windows.
Q. What are the benefits of a steel door vs a wooden garage door?
A. Wooden doors can add a beautiful finish to the front of a house and naturally increase the curb appeal, but they do come at a price. Not only are they more expensive than steel doors, but they can also be harder to maintain and may not last as long. Steel doors are generally easier to install and weigh less. We at Auckland Garage Doors install both steel and wooden garage doors depending on the client’s preference.
Q. Can I paint my garage door once it's installed?
A. Yes. Wood, aluminium, and colorsteel can all be painted to achieve the perfect look for your house. With a wood finish, you also have the added benefit of being able to use a wood stain to give it a deep glossy look. When painting any type of garage door, be sure to follow expert advice, and only use good quality materials.
Q. Can I replace just one section of my garage door?
A. Yes. If there is damage to one of the panels in your garage door then it is possible to remove it and replace it with a new section. Replacing one part may be cost-effective, but bear in mind that replacing multiple panels may end up being more expensive than buying a new door. For garage door repair or replacement, give us a call at 092977714 or 0277766000.
Q. How long does it take to install a garage door and opener system?
A. You would expect this job to take around 4-6 hours. If you are replacing a door with something similar, then it's possible that some parts of the installation will be quicker, but generally, it will be at least half a day's work for a professional installer.
Q. How much will it cost to repair my garage door?
A. The garage door repair cost will depend on the damage and the parts to be replaced. The most common issue in garage door repair is the garage door spring replacement. For a more accurate estimate, give us a call today.
Q. What kind of maintenance is needed for roller door Auckland?
A. Roller doors in Auckland should be checked once a year especially if it is constantly in use. Some maintenance tasks for your roller door Auckland include resetting the motor, tightening all fixtures and fittings, and lubricating the moving parts.
Q. How do you stop a squeaky roller door?
A. A squeaky roller door in Auckland can be fixed by using the right lubricant and lubricating only the moving parts.